Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Little Perspective

Forgive my tirade. It comes in waves. (Future Song title, nobody steal it.) Guess I am back to the sane side of my bipolarism. However I went to work today and learned a little perspective on life and death. I expect in the industry I work that I will have to deal with death a lot, I work with the elderly and up until this point I have not had to deal with any resident that I am particularily close with dying. However today I learned something about one of my coworkers and my very heart broke for him.

His wife is literally living with the possibility of her imminent death. She had cancer, and somehow from the radiation treatment, she got leukemia. From there she developed a rare blood disease that clots her blood and at any moment if one of those clots were to break free and move to her brain or her heart or a vital organ, she would die instantly. My coworker was telling me that yesterday she picked out her casket and today she is going to look at burial plots. They both have two young children and they themselves are young.

I cannot imagine this. I mean sometimes I hate my life, but living literally as if every moment were to be your last, and having to prepare for your own death, is heartbreaking and horrible. I mean, really, any moment could be our last as well. We could instantly die at any moment too and it is scary to imagine what that looks like, but a medical diagnonsis always seems to put things in a little perspective. It makes me realize I have no room to complain about anything.

Please Pray for Lee and Rhonda.

No comments:

Post a Comment